Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm getting caught up!

I finally finished my telling you about my Ireland adventure!  I am not going to get that far behind again, it is much too hard to get caught up!  I know you all have already started Day Light Savings time.  So for just a short while I am only 5 hours ahead of Arkansas!  We change our clocks on March 27th.  Another interesting fact - Mothering Day (Mother's Day) is April 3rd over here.

Work has been very busy, I love meeting the service members, it is so rewarding to me.  Yesterday, I met with a man that was from Mobile, AL, when we started talking he said "I know you are from the South, not just the accent, but you've got that southern friendly personality".  That was such a nice compliment!  I told him about going to Eclectic to visit Angie at Lake Martin, he knew exactly where I was talking about!  Yesterday must have been the southern day, because one of my next customers was a young man that is getting released from active duty in May and returning to his home town of Lexa, Arkansas, just outside of Helena.  It was great to talk to someone from home!  He was very nice, he was stationed in Okinawa from 2002 - 2008, so we had to talk about the differences in Okinawa and UK.  The first thing he mentioned was the food.  I certainly agree with him.  I ate some really good food in Okinawa!  The food here is alright, nothing special!  It is very expensive here also!  It is not usual for dinner to cost 13-15 pounds which is about $21.00- $25.00.  I think I told you all that I love that Steak and Ale pie, that has to be my favorite dish over here.  I am definitely going to eat some fish and chips soon.  I have tasted someone else's and it was good., Since Lent is here, I definitely need to order some!  The prices in the grocery store are very comprimable to our prices, except for the fact that something that costs 1.99 pounds here is actually $3.19 US dollars.

I am very glad that I am not stationed in mainland Japan right now.  I have heard from both of the VA representatives that we have over there.  They are doing well, with no damage  in the areas they are stationed.  I also heard from my friend in Okinawa, they are fine too!  Okinawa is about 700 miles south of Toyko, a totally different island, they had no damage from the earthquake or tsumani.  That is really a sad situation over there.  That country is certainly in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment