Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 2, The Lakes

The stream located at the lower lake area.  You can see the monastery in the background.

One of the many little waterfalls that feed the lakes.  This little girl was so sweet, she had on her rain boots and was just stomping in all the water that she could!  I know that was fun!


The Upper Lake

The lakes at the Wicklow Mountains
The lakes that are in the midst of the Wicklow Mountain in the small village of Glendalough are natural lakes that have been formed by glaziers thousands of years ago.  The water is ice cold and crystal clear.  There are many streams that run down the mountain.  When we went to the lakes, there are several different lakes within a park, we visited the old monastery, which I will share with you in a different post, which was located on a lower lake.  We could walk to the upper lake, or we could have skipped the upper lake and hung around the park and rode the bus to the parking lot at the upper lake.  You know me, I didn't want to miss a thing, so I had to take the walk.  First of all, the tour guide said it is a nice flat 20 minute walk, what would make me think that the upper lake was not an uphill walk?  With my ankle that 20 minute, 1.5 kilometer walk took, well I am not going to say how long it took, I will just say it was more than 20 minutes!  Luckily, there were a few young people that were walking very leisurely and stopping for photos, etc. so, I was not the very last one to arrive at the upper lake.  Fishing and swimming is not allowed in the lakes, they don't really think there are many fish in the lake because it is so very cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment