Tuesday, January 11, 2011

RAF Lakenheath - Home Sweet Home




Now that the vacation is over, I will start telling you all about work - the real reason that I am here!  I arrived at RAF Lakenheath on January 2nd.  If you look at a map of the UK, the base is located about a mile from Brandon. 

Let's start with my living quarters.  I am less than excited, I am living in a hotel room with a shared "kitchenette".  So much for me having guests come visit!  The so called kitchenette is actually a mini-fridge for each room and a shared microwave and sink.  There is no stove, no bowls, plates or anything.  (It is shared with the room next door.)  Fortunately for me, the VA rep that was here back in the summer was in the same type room, so she left behind a hot plate, a couple of pans and a bowl.  The last VA rep that was here had a nice roomy one bedroom apartment!  There are about 50 rooms in my building and we have two washers and two dryers, which according to a neighbor, only one of each works!  I may end up visiting the laundrette!  The room has a desk and chair, a dresser with TV and DVD player, a bed and another club type chair, that is not comfortable at all! 

The one great thing about my room, is it just across the parking lot from my work building one direction, the commissary another direction, and the Base Exchange and the Chapel another direction.  I couldn't have ask for a better location!  I can walk everywhere I need to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment